January, 2009 - Central School, 1932
This original factory photo of a group of visiting businessmen was taken at the La Porte Allis-Chalmers plant. The men are watching a worker make an adjustment on a piece of the agricultural harvesting equipment made at the factory. The photo is believed to be from the late 1940's.
March, 2009 - La Porte County Courthouse
La Porte County has the distinction of being the only county in Indiana with two functioning court houses. The photograph below is of the Michigan City Court House.
The cornerstone was laid Tuesday morning, 22 September 1908, shortly after 7:00 a.m. There was no ceremony although it was reported to have been "witnessed by a small crowd of interested spectators." "Not a word was spoken when the six-ton stone was slowly being lowered to its proper place." There was a copper box placed inside the stone. Items placed in the box included copies of the daily and weekly city newspapers, a copy of the latest city directory, a map of the city, a copy of that year's public school catalogue, a number of souvenir postal cards showing various views about the city furnished by George Leusch and a number of personal cards. A complete listing of items contained in the stone has not been found, such as exists for the cornerstone in La Porte's Circuit Court House. The actual weight of the stone was 12,410 pounds.
Initially the completion date was to be 1909 and this was inscribed in the cornerstone on the northeast corner of the building. However, it was not accepted by the commissioners until Saturday, 10 December 1910.
Information courtesy of Fern Eddy Schultz, La Porte County Historian
April, 2009 - Hose Cart
Hose carts were used for all sorts of purposes by fire departments. Besides their main use to manage and transport water hoses to and from fire scenes, they were also pulled by the firemen instead of the horse in races and competitions with other fire companies. In addition, they made a handy display for parades and other events, by bedecking them with flowers and crepe paper. In this photo, a La Porte hose company can be seen with their proud display on Jefferson Avenue, looking east at the corner of Michigan Avenue. The building in the background is the 1889 Renaissance Revival style Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall. It still stands.
May, 2009 - John Garwood House - Small Road, Center Twp.
The Garwoods were among La Porte County's earliest settlers. John Garwood had extensive land holdings in five townships. He built his impressive Italianate style home around 1865. It still stands and has been rated "Outstanding" by the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana in the 1989 Interim Report of La Porte County - Historic Sites and Structures Inventory.
June, 2009 - Lincoln Funeral Train
The body of Abraham Lincoln passed through La Porte County on its way to burial in Springfield, Illinois. One of the stops was at Michigan City, where this photograph was taken.
July, 2009 - La Porte 4th of July Parade
Photo is undated, but appears to be early 1950's. The photo was taken from the corner of Madison St. looking east on Lincoln Way towards Indiana Ave. Notice the old Peoples' Trust Savings Bank in the middle of the block, designed by La Porte architect George Wood Allen. That building and the one to the left of it are about the only buildings in the block that look today as they do in this photograph. The parade float in the foreground says "CUBS - BSA" on the front and is apparently loaded with scouts. Take note of how people dressed up for the parade, and also notice the people watching from the top of the buildings.
August, 2009 - Zell House
September, 2009 - Sommerfield & Austin
This wagon works was located at 801 Monroe St., at the southeast corner of Monroe St. and Jefferson Avenue. Apparently it also served as a dealer of Studebaker wagons made in South Bend. The photo dates from about 1911-12. The owners were Abram Sommerfield and Henry A. Austin. Earlier the structure had served as the William C. Pitner Carriage Shop. The building is gone, and today is the site of a bank building.