January, 2001 - View of Washington Park, Michigan City
The photo dates from 1907 and shows a large building at the rightwhich held a penny arcade, park offices, and a movie theatre. The roller coaster can be seen behind it. The "castle" on the left held a water slide and a bowling alley.
February, 2001 - La Porte Carriage Company
The buildings of the La Porte Carriage Company stood at the northwest corner of Indiana Avenue and State Street. Central Fire Station No. 1 can be seen in the lower left corner, and the sheriffs residence in the lower right corner. After making carriages and buggies for years, the company switched to making automobile bodies for several auto manufacturers, including the Haynes Automobile Co. and Apperson Bros. in Kokomo, Chalmers in Detroit, and the Great Southern Automobile Co. in Alabama.
March, 2001 - Michigan City Lighthouse
The Michigan City Lighthouse, built in 1904, is connected by a pier and catwalk to the shore. These structures are all listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The photo was taken by Thomas E. Martin, First Assistant Lighthouse Keeper from 1911 to 1934.
April, 2001 - Civil War Hospital
This home, built in the Greek Revival style around 1860, served as a hospital for soldiers during the Civil War. They were mostly from the 9th Indiana Regiment that trained at Camp Colfax on the west side of La Porte. The building still stands today at 102 "C" Street, though much altered from its original appearance.
May, 2001 - 1916 Red Cross Fund Drive, La Porte
This group is pictured looking north on Michigan Avenue from the corner of Maple. The car, apparently a Jeffery made in Kenosha, Wisconsin and loaned for the purpose of the fund drive, would be headed west down Maple. Visible on the left is the Rumely Hotel, only three years old here. On the right is the Post Office, now City Hall, and the Odd Fellows building now home to Parcel Port and other shops.
June, 2001 - Fire Drill Team, La Porte
Once the Central Fire House was built in 1907, the old ward houses, which were volunteer companies, were no longer needed. One by one the little stations were torn down. But the volunteer fire department rivalry lived on and the equipment was brought out for ceremonial purposes. This hose cart, long obsolete, is pictured before a parade in front of the old Odd Fellows Hall, at the corner of Michigan Ave. and Jefferson.
July, 2001 - Lake Shore Drive, Michigan City July 17, 1910
This view, looking east and 91 years ago, of Lake Shore Drive in Michigan City was taken near what is today Stop 1.
August, 2001 - Sheridian Beach Hotel, Lake Shore Drive, Michigan City, 1949
The Sheridan Hotel was located at the southwest corner of Stop 2 on Lake Shore Drive. This Michigan City landmark was closed in the mid 1950's and burned down later that decade.
September, 2001 - Reid, Murdock and Co., La Porte Candy Factory
The Reid, Murdock Company, headquartered in Chicago, opened this factory in La Porte in 1928. It was located on the New York Central tracks near Tyler Street. One specialty candy made there was "Teenie Weenie Toffies", proudly proclaimed on the side of the building. The rationing of sugar during WW II brought about the closing of the plant in 1942.
October, 2001 - Growing Farmhouse
This photo shows the typical fashion in which small farmhouses grew with the growing family within. The original portion of this home was the story and a half section to the left, with the typical Greek Revival details of cornice returns and a wide frieze board. Likely built in the 1840's, it was later enlarged with the addition to the right. Items present in most farm settings are the dinner bell to call the farm hands in from the fields, and just visible at the far right edge, a water pump. The man and child are identified as "Grandfather Nelson Mansfield and Don".
November, 2001 - The First National Bank, La Porte
This five story building was erected in 1913, and contained many architectural references to ancient Greece. It faced Lincolnway at the corner of Michigan Avenue, where the Rumely Hotel can be seen a block down. The rails of the electric interurban can be seen in the brick street pavement. In 1975, the building was massively remodeled, and is today a nondescript box.
December, 2001 - Fire Department Running Team
This photograph was taken October 7, 1896 on Michigan Avenue in La Porte. It shows the Third Ward department in competition, to see which volunteer company had the fastest men. In these times, some equipment was pulled by horse, other equipment, like this hose cart, was pulled by manpower.