This piano is believed to be the first upright piano brought to La Porte, at least part way by the Erie Canal, in 1854. It was brought here by Mr. Lenk, a music teacher, and purchased by Dr. Teegarden. It was made by Lemuel Gilbert in Boston.
Made in La Porte by the Hobart M. Cable Company, this player piano made its way out to California before being donated to the museum. The Cable Company made pianos in La Porte between 1903 and 1930, employed about 125 people, and was located at Factory and Darrow Streets.
Not really a piano, but designed to look like the “square” grand pianos of the day, this melodeon was made by the Model Melodeon Company in Syracuse, N.Y. A melodeon is similar to a pump organ, with metal reeds producing the tones, the player providing the pumping mechanism for the bellows.